Thursday, December 10, 2020

Gabriele Scaglione Langhe Tutto Dipende da dove Vuoi Andare, 2011

If you have read Alice in Wonderland, you may remember when Alice, lost and in the woods and at a crossroads, meets a Cheshire cat perched on a tree. Which path should I take? asks Alice. And the cat replies: "It all depends on where you want to go," (or, in Italian, "Tutto dipende da dove Vuoi Andare.") In addition to this inscription, Gabriele Scaglione provides some cartoon images of Alice and her adventures at the bottom of the label.As I enter the wonderland of this wine, I know exactly where I want to go: to the Piedmont area of Italy I visited last October. The wine, a 50/50 blend of Nebbiolo and Barbera, represents the best of Piedmont.
Beautiful bright ruby, representing Barbera, along with some orangeish tints at the rim, typical of Nebbiolo. From there I get mostly Nebbiolo traits. Powerful aroma: smoke, roses, a bit of balsamic. Both dark and red cherries in the mouth along with black licorice. Plenty of tannin at this stage but as the meal goes, ripe red fruit flavors emerge. Much complexity, much pleasure in the finish.





No comments:

Post a Comment