Monday, December 21, 2020

Domaine Rabasse Charavin Cairanne, 2012

When I opened my first bottle of this 2012  Cairanne three years ago, I was slightly disappointed. The wine was good but was a bit light on flavor and personality. It just needed some time to develop properly. Tonight it is showing exactly what I expect from Cairanne and this estate, one of the best of the appellation.

Medium dark plummy red. The wine is made traditionally in enamel and concrete vats; no new oak. Powerful aromas of red cherries and peppery spice. Medium body with prominent but ripe fruit tannins. Pepper on the mid-palate. Red fruit opens up nicely on the finish. 14.5% alcohol is just right for this wine. Power and beauty; reminds me of a good Gigondas.

The blend is 70% Grenache from vines aged 40 to 70 years; 15% Syrah, 10% Counoise and 5% Cinsault. The vines are well situated on a clay/limestone hillside.

No comments:

Post a Comment