Monday, August 5, 2024

Eden Valley Old Butts Shiraz, 1999

This wine was very good but fully mature when I had it three years ago. When I saw another bottle available at the same reserve price ($15) last December, I hesitated. Not many Australian wines are capable of going strong for 25 years. But remembering the pleasure I got from the last bottle, I just had to give it another try. And  I am glad I did..

The "old butts" are gnarled, tree-like vines like those you may have seen if you ever visited Gigondas in France. And the vines were 80 years old in 1999. The wine was aged in a combination of French and American oak, small barrels. And it is drinking beautifully tonight.

Light brick color of a mature wine. Entrancing smells reminiscent of one of my favorite wines, the Domaine Thalabert Crozes-Hermitage of Paul Jaboulet. Dried fruit, olives, leather, cured meats. Compact like fruit cake. More savory than sweet. Loads of complexity. And a finish that lingers long after the last sip.Special wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment