Friday, March 11, 2022

Famille Perrin Ventoux, 2019

Red Ventoux wines are generally built around Grenache and Syrah. This Ventoux from Famille Perrin has higher proportions of Carignan and Cinsault. The grapes are clearly well chosen, however, and well handled.

Deep crimson red. Fresh cherries and berries, red and black. Lovely ripe fruit balanced against fresh acidity. Peppery spice notes but those more typical of Carignan and Cinsault than Grenache. Well defined flavors and a long satisfying finish. For my taste, this is better than Famille Perrin's La Vieille Ferme or even the Cotes du Rhone Reserve.

The 2019 Famille Perrin Ventoux was offered as a special for $6.99 at Plum Market in Ann Arbor last July. After tasting it, I regretted not buying more, but when I visited Plum Market again yesterday, I found, to my delight, the 2020 Famille Perrin Ventoux for the same price. One of the best values in Southern Rhone wines I have seen in many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment