Sunday, December 5, 2021

Paolo Scavino Langhe Nebbiolo, 2012

Reviewing this wine for the Wine Enthusiast shortly after its release, Kerin O'Keefe notes that "while this wine can age for a couple more years, enjoy it now for maximum freshness." I enjoyed it then (2015) and, several years later, I still find it fresh and lovely.

Beautiful crimson ruby. Scavino uses some barriques for this wine. Fresh red berries, cherries, rose petals and sweet spices that are probably oak-influenced but blend very nicely with the traditional smells and flavors of Nebbiolo. Ripe fruit from front to back with mouth watering acidity and a finish that follows me even after I have finished the meal and put away the bottle.

As I remember, this wine sold for $15 to $17 a bottle when I bought it in 2015 at D&W Market in Kalamazoo. For a Nebbiolo of this quality, that is a very good price.

No comments:

Post a Comment