Saturday, December 18, 2021

Meiomi California Pinot Noir, 2016

Meiomi is arguably the most popular West Coast Pinot Noir on the market. A  few years ago, I met a man stocking wines at the local store; officially retired, he had taken a part-time job with a wine distributor for one reason only: so he could get a discount on Meiomi Pinot Noir. "I just love this wine," he said. I have met others who felt the same, and I don't mean to fault their taste. As for me, I simply don't care much for Meiomi (nor, for that matter, any of the wines made by Caymus).

Full garnet color. Dark red fruits, tobacco, chocolate and espresso. A green flavor that reminds me of cheap Merlot. Does not have texture I expect from Pinot Noir. And I find the wine overly oaky and a bit one-dimensional. That's me; you don't have to agree. And sales figures reveal that thousands of wine buyers disagree.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment