Saturday, December 18, 2021

Chateau Grand Traverse Old Mission Peninsula Whole Cluster Riesling, 2014

 

When I taste at Chateau Grand Traverse near Traverse City, MI, this Whole Cluster Riesling is always one of my favorites. Each year, I buy and put away a few bottles to get an idea of how well the wine ages in the bottle. I was a bit disappointed when I opened the 2012 earlier this year; it tasted a bit tired. The 2013 was much better but not up to my expectations when I started cellaring this wine. Tonight, it's the 2014, and I find perfection!

Medium deep yellow. A good lively color. The smells are heavenly. Flowers, pears, ripe peaches. Flavors are crisp, well defined and persistent. The acidity in this bottle is perfect. Reminds me of a very good German Kabinett or Spatlese. Goes perfectly with grilled salmon and mushroom risotto.

The grapes come from three different plots at the estate. They are hand picked and gently pressed without destemming or mechanical crushing. From that point, processing is minimal. The grapes speak for themselves and with great articulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment