Sunday, May 18, 2008

It's the Kimeridgian Soil

When I was enjoying the brisk, mineral-laden Gilbert Picq Chablis, I couldn't help being reminded of Sancerre. But I dismissed the thought as stupid. This was Chardonnay, after all; Sancerre is Sauvignon Blanc.

The kimeridgian limestone soil that defines the best Chablis, however, is also present in the Loire Valley and specifically in Sancerre. According to Loire expert Jacqueline Friedrich, writing in The Wines of France: The Essential Guide for Savvy Shoppers: "Chablis is in Burgundy, but its terroir is the same as that of the Sancerrois. When I taste really good, terroir-driven Chablis I can't help thinking of the very best Sancerres. The grapes--chardonnay and sauvignon blanc--truly take the back seat here."

No comments:

Post a Comment