Thursday, January 18, 2024

Fontanafredda Piemonte Barbera Briccotondo, 2008

I have a glass of the current vintage of Briccotodo every time we visit Martini's, our local Italian eatery. It is always fresh and fruity, an excellent accompaniment to pizza or red sauce pasta. When I saw a 2008 vintage of this Barbera on WineBid with a reserve of $15, I waa curious to see how an inexpensive Barbera might age over 12 to 14 years. Very well, I discovered.

Medium dark ruby, bright and clear. The fruity aromas of a young Barbera have become a bit earthier, but I like what I'm smelling.. Black raspberries, cherries, black pepper on the tongue. Bright acidity attacks the outer borders of the tongue with deep fruit, pepper and spice flavors down the middle. A major step upward from the young Briccotondo I have come to know.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment