Friday, July 28, 2023

Eden Valley Wines Old Butts Eden Valley Shiraz, 1995

The Eden Valley appellation was what attracted me to this wine, which has been one of my most pleasurable auction purchases. Eden Valley is a relatively cool micro-climate in the Barossa Valley. It is the source of many good Rieslings, and it is where most Henschke wines are sourced and produced. The vines for this Shiraz are about 80 years of age and the "old butts" are gnarled tree-like vines similar to those found in Gigondas and Chateauneuf du Pape in the Southern Rhone. According to the label, the combination of the cool climate and the old vines led to slow ripening and the development of complex flavors. Complex, I guess. I love this wine.

The color has lightened considerably, even compared to the previous bottles I had in 2020 and 2021. Ethereal scents and flavors. Savory rather than sweet. Black olives, leather, dried berries, cured meats. Great level of acidity. Subtle flavors that shift and change with every sip. Reminds me of a Domaine Thalabert (Jaboulet) Crozes Hermitage from the 1980s--high praise indeed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment