Monday, March 20, 2023

Villa Antinori Chianti Classico, 1970

Now well past its 50th birthday, this Antinori Chianti Classico is one of the oldest wines in my cellar, and I did not expect much from it. Is it alive or dead? was my question. And I found that it is definitely alive.

Removing the cork was the hardest part, and I finally had to push the cork into the bottle and pour through a filter into a decanter. I poured myself a glass, then poured the rest into a clean bottle for re-corking with a RePour cork. The color is suprisingly deep and dark, although a bit murky and some brown tones. Some dark cherry smells but mostly tertiary. Not surprisingly, it tastes like a Chianti Classico. If I were tasting it blind, I would peg it at 15 to 20 years of age rather than 53. Not oxidized. Chianti spice with good acidity around the edges and in balance with fruit and tannin. Not great but an enjoyable dinner drink. I would guess that this wine was matured in large, old barrels and made to age. I would not expect the same longevity for wines made today. 

On the second night, after being re-corked, this 53-year-old wine tastes even younger than it did last night. The color is lighter with more amber tones, but the spicy, savory traits of good Sangiovese fruit are even stronger. Sour cherries, cinnamon, new leather, Depth, concentration and intensity. Not great but very, very goodl

 

No comments:

Post a Comment