Friday, March 10, 2023

Ca' del Baio Barbaresco Pianrosa, 2008

Although it is made from the same grape (Nebbiolo) grown in the same area (the Piedmont in Italy), Barbaresco tends to be a bit more elegant and shows its colors more quickly than Barolo. That was my thinking when I tasted my first bottle of this Ca' del Baio Barbaresco back in September of 2016. It was very good even then but still tannic, and I wrote that I would give it two to four more years to show its best. Tonight, seven years later, it has blossomed into a beautiful Barbaresco...although still on the young side of full maturity.

Medium deep, orangish tints typical of fine Nebbiolo made traditionally without barriques. Finely scented bouquet of fresh fruit and flowers. Red berries, cherries, violets and roses with black licorice tones developing in the background. High toned, silky and elegant. Grainy tannins on the mid-palate add substance in preparation for the long fruit-dominant finish. This is a special wine, and I am looking forward to following it over the next decade...or as long as my lifespan will allow me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment