Thursday, March 23, 2023

Bonny Doon Le Cigare Volant, 2021

Randall Graham of Bonny Doon Vineyards is known as a "Rhone Ranger," but, even though I am a huge fan of Southern Rhone wines, this is my first go at a Bonny Doon Rhone look-alike. When excellent traditional Southern Rhone wines were available for $5 to $10 a bottle, I saw no reason to pay twice that much for a Rhone look-alike. The price of Rhone wines has escalated, though, and I saw this Bonny Doon offering on sale for $15 at Sawall Health Foods in Kalamazoo.

Bright red, no signs of new oak barriques. On the label, Graham states: "more berries, less wood." I like it. Grenache red berries, has a cool climate profile. Strawberries, cherries, violets. Peppery spice on the palate; perfect. Black fruits and licorice on the finish from the Syrah/Cinsault combination.

The wine is modeled after a Chateauneuf du Pape, and some critics have compared it to a red Burgundy. To me, it comes across as a good Cotes du Rhone Villages. A good wine for every day drinking, but Graham says it will give 10 plus years of enjoyment. I will go back for more.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment