Saturday, November 26, 2022

Chateau Grand Traverse Old Mission Peninsula Gamay Noir Reserve, 2011

I have never been a fan of Michigan red wines, even the highly oaked wines that have emerged over the past two decades carrying high price tags. This Gamay Noir from Chateau Grand Traverse grabbed my attention when I first tasted it and still ranks as my No. 1 Michigan red. I have been putting away a few bottles every vintage to see how the wine ages. This bottle tells me that it ages beautifully, at least over 11 years.

More garnet than ruby in color but bright and clear. A bouquet of freesh fruit and flowers. Tart cherry and pomegranate with gingery spice on the lively mid-palate and a beautiful peppery finish. Has a lot of similarity to an Oregon Pinot Noir. Light in body, big in flavor. 13.8% alcohol is just right. I will keep buying and cellaring this little beauty.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment