Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Bec Hardy Pertaringa Lakeside McLaren Vale Cabernet Sauvignon, 2019

There was a time when Cabernet Sauvignon was everybody's favorite wine. But it's now hard to find a good Napa Cabernet for less than $50, and Australian Cabs have also climbed the price ladder. I rarely buy Cabernet any more, and I really don't miss it because I have found good alternatives in the Rhone Valley and Piedmont. This wine, though, is a throwback to the wines I enjoyed in the 1970s and 1980s. It is a good every day drinker at a decent price ($11.99 at Costco).

Very dark. More purple than I am used to seeing. Blackberries, currants, cassis, vanilla. Tannins that give strructure but do not obscure the flavors. Warm and friendly on the finish. This wine might gain some complexity with a few years in the bottle, but it might also lose some of its charming Cabernet fruit. It's priced for every day drinking.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment