Thursday, August 19, 2021

Fontanafredda Ebbio Langhe Nebbiolo, 2019

 

I was hot and thirsty when we stopped for a mid-afternoon drink on the streets of Chicago. "Why in the world," I thought to myself, "did I order a glass of red, particularly a big, tannic red, rather than a refreshing white or rose?" Well, it was Eataly, after all, and I jumped at the opportunity to taste a Nebbiolo that was not available in my market area. And it turned out to be a good choice.

Rusty Nebbiolo color. Beautiful scents of cherries, raspberries, cinnamon, licorice and rose petals. Reminds me of the 1998 Famiglia Anselma Barolo we had from the cellar last month. Actually, the wine is very refreshing. Medium bodied with substantial Nebbiolo tannins but surprisingly light on the palate. Big tannins coupled with high acidity. That's what I like about Nebbiolo from the Piedmont in Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment