Thursday, February 18, 2016

Nerelo del Bastardo Vino de Tavola, 2006`

I have been a fan of this Trader Joe's bargain for many years. The label hints that at least some of the juice is declassified Barolo and Barbaresco, and I agree that Nebbiolo traits come through for me--at the bargain price of $7.99.

Ruby red, deep and dark. Dark cherries, rose petals and black licorice tones. Has the bright acidity of Nebbiolo, but it probably has seen more new oak than traditionally made Barolos and Barbaresco. Also some other grape varieties blended in--Sangiovese?

At 10 years of age, this is drinking nicely; and it will probably improve. I had the 1999 a few months ago, and it was beautiful. The 2002 was also very good when I last tried it. Later vintages, such as the 2008 and this 2006, probably have less Nebbiolo. But whatever grapes are used, the wine is very good for this price.

No comments:

Post a Comment