Saturday, March 28, 2015

Paul Jaboulet Crozes-Hermitage Domaine de Thalabert, 1988

Paul Jaboulet's Domaine de Thalabert was my favorite wine during the 1980s, and the wines have held up very well. I had the 1985 last December, and it was drinking beautifully. I haven't had the 1982 or 1983 for awhile, but I have confidence they are still going strong. Online reviews on Cellar Tracker continue to be good. Some say that this 1988 might be the best of the bunch, but I still lean toward 1983.

The color is lighter than the 1985, and it is generally more elegant. Beautiful mature Syrah bouquet of bacon, red berries, cassis and herbs. Same on the palate. Red fruits, meat. Concentrated but very smooth and dances lightly on the tongue. Leaner and more herbal than the 1985. Also livelier. Very lively for a 27-year-old Crozes-Hermitage. Very long finish. Glad I have more of this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment