Sunday, March 15, 2015

Chateau Grand Traverse Old Mission Peninsula Gamay Noir Rouge Reserve, 2011

Donna and I had a glass of this wine at our dinner at Food Dance Cafe during Restaurant Week in Kalamazoo. We liked it so much that we ordered a bottle when we returned to Food Dance this week. My impression is the same: this is one of the best Michigan red wines I have tasted.

The color is a medium ruby/garnet, similar to what you'd expect from a Beaujolais Cru. This Chateau Grand Traverse Gamay has been aged in French oak and is more tannic than most Gamays I have tasted. But as far as I'm concerned, the oak has not affected the beautiful smells and flavors of well grown Gamay. Wonderfully spicy and peppery from the first sniff. Cherries, flowers. Smells and flavors open like rose petals--very Pinot like but with more tannic backbone. On the wine list at Food Dance in Kalamazoo for $9 a glass or $32 a bottle (40% off on Thursday nights).

No comments:

Post a Comment