Saturday, November 30, 2013

Epicuro Salice Salentino, 2005

Every time I get to a Trader Joe's store, I head straight to the Italian section where I have found numerous unbelievable values. The Epicuro wines sell for $5.99, and I am fond of both the Salice Salentino and the Aglianico (haven't tried any of the others). My previous blog posts have suggested that these wines might age well, and I have put several vintages back just to see. This 2005 is showing much better than when I bought it in 2007 or 2008 and there is no sign that the wine is going to go over the hill anytime soon. For a $5.99 wine, that is impressive.

Deep, dark ruby. Dark cherries, black licorice, raisins. Compact dried and fresh fruit. Southern Italian ripeness but no alcoholic heat. A classy well balanced wine. Probably at its peak but should hold there for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment