Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Sabrego Valdeorras Godello, 2010

The last time I wrote about this wine I was bragging about the excellent price I got on an exceptional wine: $14.99 at World Market compared to $17 to $18 at other shops across the country. Well, the price just came down as World Market closed out Sabrego at $7.49. I left one bottle on the shelf for some other lucky person.

This really is a very good wine no matter what the price. Bright golden color. Enticing leesy scents of citrus, green apples and flowers with a hint of almond paste. Medium bodied with mouth watering acidity and a long sharply focused finish. If this were a Chardonnay, I think I would be comparing it to a good Puligny Montrachet.

Godello is a traditional white wine grape for this area of northwestern Spain, and some of the old vineyards   that were once threatened are now being restored. Sabrego is the Spanish word for granite, and I would suspect that the granitic mountain soil is not much good for raising anything...except for low yields of very fine wine grapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment