Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Rhoning Stones Cotes du Rhone, 2007

This was a World Market January close-out special from a few years ago--marked down from $12.99 to $6.99. My only complaint about the wine is its cheesy pun on the Rolling Stones name while failing to reveal to me who grew these lovely grapes and where. I suspect that it probably came from the area between Gigondas and Chateauneuf du Pape, near or on the Plan de Dieu.

Very deep and dark. Probably new wood or small barrels. I'm a traditionalist, but I'm not about to kick out this wine for being too modern. Red berry scents: strawberries. Ripe, deep and concentrated. Now the dark berries of Syrah and just a hint of Mourvedre spice and pepper. As the Syrah and Mourvedre come forward, Rhoning Stones will continue to grow. A big mouthful for a Cotes du Rhone--almost like a Gigondas. Ripe red berries on the front of the palate, deeper black and blue berries on the long finish. This wine has improved a lot since the last bottle, and I think it's best days are yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment