Monday, February 18, 2013

Boskydel Leelanau Peninsula Soleil Blanc, 2008

Wines made from French hybrid grapes are not trendy right now in the Leelanau Peninsula of Michigan. But this Soleil Blanc produced by Leelanau pioneer Bernie Rink has a more complete aroma and flavor profile than the majority of Chardonnays and Pinot Grigios now being made on the peninsula. Bernie told me it would age well, and so far I have found each bottle to significantly better than the last.

Medium yellow. Pineapples, peaches and a slight leesy, yeasty quality. Has the body of a Chardonnay, the acidity of a Sauvignon Blanc. Reminds me a lot of Vignoles, probably my favorite French hybrid but now used mainly for sweet and sparkling wines in Leelanau. 2008 was a good vintage on the Leelanau Peninsula, so I have high expectations for the rest of my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment