Thursday, February 28, 2013

Backhouse California Pinot Noir, 2010

The wine list at Food Dance Café in Kalamazoo described this as a Sonoma Pinot Noir, and that's why I ordered it. But when the waitress showed me the bottle, the appellation was California. She knew the difference, and when I mentioned it to her she offered to take the bottle back. I'm glad I decided to give it a try anyway.

Backhouse Pinot Noir is very light in color and also in texture. Good sign. Cranberries, red berries, spice--has the qualities of a northern coast Pinot from Sonoma. Finely structured with bright acidity. Holds up and even gets better through the meal. Much better than your typical restaurant Pinot Noir. I suspect it does have some Sonoma or Mendocino fruit.

I should have known better than to expect a Sonoma Coast, or even a simple Sonoma Pinot Noir for $32. In fact, this wine sells for $7.99 retail. I'm going to keep an eye out for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment