Wednesday, February 24, 2010

La Vieille Ferme Cotes du Ventoux Rouge, 2008

I finally had a chance to try the 2008 La Vieille Ferme that is now on the market. And I stand by my previous statement: if the 2007 and 2008 LVF Rouge are on the shelf together, I would buy the 2007. The 2007 vintage in the Southern Rhone is ranked as one of the best; 2008 is generally considered less than spectacular.

Compared to the 2005 La Vieille Ferme, which I reported on earlier this month, and the 2007 that I had several months ago, the 2008 is a bit acidic and disjointed. The ripe berry/peppercorn/garrigue elements that characterize Southern Rhone wines may well develop over the next six months or so, but it was not there for me last weekend. I will still buy several bottles of the 2008 La Vieille Ferme because it is has proved to be consistently good from year to year and is an excellent value at $6 to $8 a bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment