Monday, February 18, 2008

Domaine du Grand Prieur Cotes du Rhone, 2006

This is my second go at this wine. The first bottle was so luscious that I look longingly at the remaining 11 bottles each time I go to the cellar. Were I to become wealthy, one of my biggest regrets, I think, would be that I might tend to overlook wines like this one while chasing more expensive labels. Life is too short to drink only expensive wine.

The color is still deep and dark, more purple than crimson at this stage. The black licorice, mineral element that was so apparent in the nose of the earlier bottle has given way to some pretty floral, black fruit aromas. Ripe Syrah and Provencal herbs. The licorice has shifted more to the palate impression. Ripe fruit and minerals with a silky smooth texture and a remarkable after taste. A hint of black pepper and concentrated Syrah fruit is also beginning to appear on the finish. No disappointments, although the wine has evolved, as it always does, even from month to month. I have one bottle left of the 2004 (and half a case of the 2005), but generally I do not keep this wine that long. It's just too tempting.

No comments:

Post a Comment