Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Careglio Roero DOCG, 2010

There is nothing on the label to indicate that this wine is Nebbiolo, but it is 100% Nebbiolo from vineyards in Roero just across the Tanaro River from Alba and the nearby vineyards that produce Barolo and Barbaresco. When I tasted the 2010 Careglio Roero in 2021, I found it to be quite like a Barolo albeit with gentler, less aggressive tannins. Now, three years later, I  find alll of those delightful Nebbiolo qualities and a few more. It drinks well now and I don't see it going into decline any time soon.

Ruby red shading to garnet with orange tones characteristic of the grape. Enticing scents of rose petals, violets, red berries. Flavors of dark cherries, cloves, and black licorice. If this were a 20-year-old Barolo, I would be very happy with it. It is approachable, charming and delicious.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment