Thursday, June 1, 2023

Gonzales Byass 1847 solera cream sherry

In Jerez, one must drink sherry. That is the name, of course. I wanted to tour and taste at my favorite bodega, Emilio Lustau, but the facility was closed for lunch. Across the street at a small neighborhood bar, I ordered a glass of what the chalk board described as simply solera. Only after I had finished the glass did I ask the waiter what I was drinking. Gonzales Byass 1847 is 75% Palomino and 25% Pedro Ximinez--hence the sweet, but oh so complex, finish.

Walnuts, figs, tofee, raisins, caramel and dried fruits. Rich and complex plus plus. I don't drink much sherry but when I taste a wine like this I wonder why. At the neighborhood bar across from Emilio Lustau, I paid $1.70 and enjoyed every sip.

No comments:

Post a Comment