Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Chateau Fortia Cuvee du Baron Chateauneuf du Pape, 2019

 

I have enjoyed Fortia Chateauneufs for many years, but this is my first taste of the Cuvee du Baron. I generally avoid the higher priced prestige bottlings of CdP because, even though they may come from special vineyards, they are also likely to be matured in new oak to please the critics and get the high scores. Such is the not the case with Cuvee du Baron, which the estate says, "veritably embodies the distinctiveness of our terroir." It was made traditionally and aged 18 months in old oak foudres. I gave this wine 19/20 and considered it the best of the NTP tasting, even though I gave a similar score to the Pierre Amadieu Gigondas.

Very deep ruby, bright and true. Very deep, concentrated aromas, tending to the cherry/red berry spectrum but also some herbal, peppery notes. Very ripe. Good tannin/acid balance on the palate. Very tannic at this age but the sweet fruit gushes right through into a beautiful long, long finish.

I remember tasting the 1998 Fortia (regular bottling) at a huge Southern Rhone tasting many years ago. Compared to many other fine Chateauneufs, the Fortia was the clear favorite of everyone at the table. Some were skeptical that a wine so ripe and enticing at a young age would stand the test of time. I bought several bottles and can say that it has become even more beautiful after 20 plus years in the bottle. Even at $44, this 1999 Fortia Cuvee du Baron is a good value. As for me, at age 84, I will pass since I doubt that I will live long enoiugh to experience it at its prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment