Saturday, May 6, 2023

Trader Joe's Reserve Wahluke Slope Syrah, 2021

 

I often agree with the assessments of Jon Thorsen,  known as the "Reverse Wine Snob," but I can't accept his view that this Trader Joe's Reserve is "simple and jammy." For $9.99, I find it an intriguing good value wine. As Trader Joe's points out in its promotions, Wahluke Slope in Washington state is a highly regarded appellation for Syrah and Merlot.

Deep and dark. Red berries, blue berries and herbs. Aromas are fruity rather than oaky and rather complex. Medium body; only 13.5% alcohol and good acidity. As the meal progresses, tannins seem to become more rather than less prominent. I think this wine needs some time in the cellar to show its true worth. Rather than "simple and jammy," I would say "young and intriguing."

No comments:

Post a Comment