Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Saltram S2 Southeastern Australia Shiraz, 2019

This is a story wine. The story is that Saltram's S2 Shiraz was originally scheduled to be shipped to China. When China refused the shipment because of trade issues, the winery was left with 32,000 cases to unload and was willing to accept below-market prices. Dan Murphy's in Australia bought some of the excess and is now offering it at the bargain price of $36. Wines are clearly more expensive in Australia than they are in the United States and $36 Australian comes to only about $24 U.S. I still don't consider that a bargain, but my local Trader Joe's store offered it for $3+ a bottle, which is a bargain in anyone's book. I was told it wouldn't last long at that price (and it didn't) so I bought a 12-bottle case, even without tasting it. I haven't been disappointed.

Medium red, lightening at the rim. Tasty fruit: fresh cherries and plums with a bit of spice. The label speaks of "subtle use" of oak, and I can detect very little oak influence. That's no problem for me; it's similar to a Cotes du Rhone in offering approachable low-tannin Shiraz fruit. Unlike a Cotes du Rhone, though, it's also soft on the acidity scale and is a bit lacking in depth and complexity. But if it comes back again at the Trader Joe's price, I will stand in line for more.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment