Thursday, January 26, 2023

Badet Clement Pontificis Pays d'Oc Grenache Syrah Mourvedre, 2019

Pontificis has been my favorite Trader Joe's wine over the past several years. A blend of 40% Grenache, 35% Syrah and 25% Mourvedre from the Languedoc, it reminds me of my favorite Ventoux and Cotes du Rhone wines of the 1980s and 1990s. The grapes are clearly well chosen and vinified according to the best traditional practices. But, alas, Pontificis has been missing from the shelves of my local store for several months now. I miss it; please bring it back!

Bright crimson. Enticing scents of strawberries, cherries, Provencal herbs with a hint of violets. Medium bodied. Very friendly on the palate but by no means soft or simple. The Southern Rhone flavors continue to haunt me long after the glass is empty and the meal is finished.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment