Friday, July 31, 2020

Shoofly South Australia Shiraz, 2017


I usually tune out when I encounter an Australian wine with a cutesy name, but this one is made by Ben Riggs, a winemaker I respect who bills it as a "grower's wine." The fruit comes from vineyards in McLaren Vale, Langhorne Creek, Padthaway and Wrattenbully--all wine-producing areas that I like.

Deep, dark color typical of Shiraz. Shiraz black fruit scents but also spice and black pepper. Has the freshness and appeal of a good Cotes du Rhone. Tannins are there but ripe and balanced by good acidity. No sign of oak chips or new barrels. I am going back for half a case of this wine, selling for $10 to $14 at D&W in Kalamazoo. It's drinking well now and should continue to do so for at least three or four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment