Thursday, June 11, 2020

La Castellina di Fojanini Valtellina Superiore Sassella 2008

Valtellina Superiore Sassella 2007, La Castellina – Fojanini, 13 ...This is my first go at Valtellina, but I hope it won't be my last. Valtellina is the northern face of Nebbiolo, produced from vineyards in Lombardy in the hills near the Italian border with Switzerland. Barolo and Barbaresco can generally be ranked as cool climate, but Valtellina take the coolness a few steps farther, resulting in wines that have decidedly more acidity and, in most cases, less tannin.

Orangeish/garnet color typical of Nebbiolo. Some free floating sediment and a cloudy appearance. Even with decanting and several hours of aeration, aromas emerge slowly but are deep and concentrated. My wife smells the Korean lilac blossoms she has in her own garden. Also deep scents of cherries and black licorice. Not as austere as you might expect from a cool climate wine. Like the bouquet, the flavors are broad, concentrated and deep. Acid keeps the finish focused and lively. It's my only bottle; wish I had more.

No comments:

Post a Comment