Saturday, June 20, 2020

Domaine du Pegau Cuvee Reservee Chateauneuf du Pape, 1994

Bottle front photo imageAt this stage of maturity, the 1994 Pegau is not as bold and earthy as some of its siblings. It lures, rather, by charm and a beautiful presentation of Grenache fruit.

Medium dark in color with some bricking. Instantly sweeter and more approachable than the Domaine Thalabert on the table beside it. Everybody loves it at first sip, but it is by no means simple. Silky texture and flavors that unfold slowly over the course of the dinner. Dried and fresh fruit, sweet and savory. Very strawberry. I liked the bold approach of bottles I had a few years ago, but I am even more enamoured of the subtlety it has developed. I don't think it is at risk of sliding, but I plan to drink my remaining bottles in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment