Thursday, May 8, 2014

Rocca del Olmo Barbaresco, 2010

There is no Trader Joe's store in my area so I buy their wines infrequently. When I do get to a TJ store, I usually focus on the Italian wines because I rarely find a disappointing bottle even at unbelievably low prices.

Barbaresco for $10??? At that price, you don't expect much, but this wine really delivers. Medium deep ruby with amber brick tones. With Nebbiolo wines that is not necessarily a sign of over maturity. And this wine has not even approached the peak of the hill. With Barolo, you usually think of tar and roses; this Barbaresco has plenty of roses but no tar. What's most impressive is the sleek body and silky texture. Elegant indeed. Layers and layers of dark cherry flavors and an incredibly long finish that dances on the palate.

Barbaresco is ordinarily a long aging wine. I'm not sure about this one, but there is no reason to wait. It's beautiful right now and is likely to stay that way for the next three to five years. There aren't many $10 wines that will deliver this much depth and complexity.

No comments:

Post a Comment