Sunday, January 27, 2013

Bodegas Osborne 7 Red Wine

I was offered a glass of this wine from the appetizer table at a party and decided: why not? With the ultra-modern label and name, I didn't expect much. On first smell and taste, I decided this was probably a Rioja, and a pretty good one at that. As I continued to sip and taste I became increasingly more impressed. Not Rioja but better than many.

Some really beautiful, complex fruit aromas. Violets and berries. Reminds me of Mourvedre, but no...maybe Grenache. Pretty hard to pin down but very appealing and not at all simple. Flavors don't disappoint, either. Medium to light bodied, not much, if any, oak. Good fruit flavors.

I found myself drinking two glasses of this wine and made a point of looking at the label. Osborne is a reference to the highly respected producer of high quality Sherry. The "7" apparently refers to the seven varieties in the blend: Cabernet, Merlot, Syrah, Petit Verdot, Grenache, Tempranillo and Graciano. No Mourvedre, after all. And the wine is available in a bag in a box, for the equivalent of about $5 a bottle. Great value.

No comments:

Post a Comment