Sunday, April 8, 2012

Trentadue Old Patch Red

I drove past the Trentadue Vineyard last week but, alas, passed it by for tastings at more prestigious Napa Valley establishments. Back home in Michigan, though, I snagged a glass of Trentadue Old Patch Red, an old favorite, at the Bentwood Tavern in New Buffalo. The wine was every bit as enjoyable as I remember.

Ridge Vineyards' Geyserville Red comes from some of Leo Trentadue's oldest vines, some of which date back to 1898. A poor man's version of Geyserville, Old Patch Red, is a similar field blend that's mostly Zinfandel along with Petite Sirah, Mourvedre and Carignane. I buy Geyserville when I can afford it (which is not often these days) and Old Patch Red when I can find it (which is also infrequent).

As usual, the Old Patch Red is a deep, inky color. Deep, funky old-vine smells--dark cherries, pepper, spice and dried blueberries. Full blooded but ripe and easy on the palate with a long finish. Very nice. Wish now I had stopped at Trentadue's tasting room.

No comments:

Post a Comment