Sunday, April 22, 2012

Domaine du Grand Prieur Cotes du Rhone, 2006

For about $8 a bottle, this wine sat on the shelves of D&W Parkview for an embarrasingly long time. I did my part; I bought a case early and several additional bottles later just to replenish the stash. I've been drinking it along with the 2005 (which may be slightly better) and the 2007 (which I don't like as much). Alas, this is my last bottle of the 2006, and it's still drinking beautifully.

The color is still a deep, dark ruby, darker than most Cotes du Rhones of this age. I smell ripe plums and dark berries, cassis and a hint of Provencal herbs. On the palate, it's spicy but not as peppery as the Oratoire Saint Martin (below). Lush and smooth on the mid-palate with a ripe finish of fresh berries with cassis. This wine would please me if it said "Vacqueyras" on the label, but the price would be twice as much if it did. The grapes actually do come from Vacqueyras but with a higher yield than that appellation requires. That may be why it's always such a good value. I've tried the Grand Prieur Vacqueyras, and, of course, it's better, but the price keeps bringing me back to the CDR.

No comments:

Post a Comment