Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Chateau Moncontour Vouvray, 2004

When I'm in the mood for a Chenin Blanc, I usually choose Savennieres because these wines are usually a bit drier than the Vouvrays available in my market. With a few years in the bottle, though, the minerality and fruit of a Vouvray takes charge and the little bit of residual sugar can be a good match for a meal featuring spicy vegetables or fish. This 2004 Moncountour is showing very well tonight, although I'm sure it will be even better with a few more years in the bottle.

It's a medium deep yellow, still showing some youth. I smell pears, peach peels and flowers. Very nice. The wine has a fat feel on the palate--not really sweet, just ripe and plump with Chenin fruit and minerals. Long, ripe finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment