Friday, August 6, 2010

Tarima Jumilla Monastrel, 2009

From my admittedly limited experience, I would say that Jumilla is an excellent region for Monastrel (Spanish for Mourvedre). I have yet to taste an ordinary Monastrel from this appellation and was delighted to find this offering on the shelves at Cost Plus World Market for $6.99 for a bottle. Tarima is imported by Jorge Ordonez, who also brought in the excellent Finca Luzon Jumilla Monastrel I reviewed last year. Tarima, I have found out, is a replacement for Finca Luzon in Ordonez' portfolio.

The color is a medium light ruby, and the overall character of this wine leans lightly toward finesse rather than power. It has all the complexity I expect from Mourvedre but with Burgundian elegance. Berries galore--blue and black--on the nose plus Mourvedre flowers and spice. Still young with a lot more to come over the next couple of years. There is very little tannin in this wine, however, so I would not put it away for the long term. The label says 15% alcohol, but that's hard to believe. No heat, no warmth, no thickness; plenty of well focused fruit and elegance. It's a worthy successor to the Finca Luzon, I would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment