Saturday, April 17, 2010

Delas Saint Esprit Cotes du Rhone, 2007

Tasted alongside a 12-year-old Gigondas (Font-Sane) and a 21-year-old Chateauneuf-du-Pape (Les Clefs d'Or), this young Cotes du Rhone showed lots of youthful fruit and vigor. Although I would not expect it to age more than three to five years, it did not embarrass itself in such company.

The color is a deep ruby with some purplish tints. Aromas and flavors are bursting with peppery, spicy fruit--dominated at this time by a lemon peel element that I often find in Cinsault. It's a unique quality that gives the wine freshness and lift--reminds me of one of my favorite Cotes du Tricastin wines. The flavors are round and friendly but by no means simple. An inexpensive CDR, available a few months ago at World Market for $9.99, this wine ranks at the top of many very good 2007 Southern Rhones I have tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment