Monday, June 29, 2009

Langmeil Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvedre, 2006

I generally don't care for Rhone blends from Australia or California. But after trying this one several times with meals at Every Day People Cafe in Douglas, MI, I've put it on my buy list.

The wine is a lot darker than I would expect from a Chateauneuf du Pape so I suspect it has spent some time in new oak barrels. The aromas and flavors though are mostly from the fruit rather than oak, and it's nicely balanced for easy drinking. Red berries from the Grenache, darker fruit from the Syrah and a slight floral lift from the Mourvedre. A versatile wine for drinking with pork, beef or chicken.

2 comments:

  1. Ok Fred, I resisted flogging a dead horse for a full five days.

    I've found at least two wine retailers that ship to MI, are aware of the appropriate restrictions, and have the necessary permits.

    Oddly enough, one will not ship to Washington. I'm still trying to figure out why.

    Had an Andre Brunel CdR Villages. beautiful the first night, dead the second. A Villages!

    ~Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I like about Rhone wines is that they usually taste as good the second as the first night. But sometimes the alcohol can get out of whack on the second night, especially with a relatively high-alcohol wine such as a 2003.

    I had some bad luck with my last bottles of 2004 and 2005 Vieux Chene Haie aux Grives--both corked. On 2007 on my radar right now is the Domaine Saint Gayan Cotes du Rhone. I bought their Gigondas frequently in the 1980s--the 1989 is still beautiful. Segries also has a Cotes du Rhone, but I believe it is made in a more rustic style than the Segries Lirac.

    ReplyDelete