Saturday, June 6, 2009

La Vieille Ferme Cotes du Ventoux, 2007

This was my first real indication that the 2007 vintage in the Southern Rhone is special. La Vieille Ferme is an excellent wine, year after year, and, at $6 to $8, always one of the least expensive wines on the shelf. I've been a regular buyer of half a case or more since the 1998 vintage and find that it is a good match for nearly any dish that goes on the table. With pork chops on the grill and a half case of 2007 LVF newly purchased, I couldn't wait to give it a try. And I was not disappointed.

The color is a medium deep crimson, as usual, with good brilliance. Aromas and flavors are bursting with raspberry-tinged garrigue, ripe and inviting. Big, full bodied presence--all fruit and a yard wide. Spice and peppercorns are showing already but only as a backdrop to the fruit. Loads of garrigue; this is what garrigue is all about. The more I drink, the more I want. This wine reminds me a lot of Domaine Sainte Anne Cotes du Rhone, and that, of course, is a high compliment. I usually drink LVF within a year of buying it, but I suspect the 2007 will keep quite a bit longer (even though it's too beautiful to miss right now). I may go back for another half case.

8 comments:

  1. Ok, Ok...I'm going to get some 2007!

    The Marcillac was pretty tasty after a day. Deeper, more structured and aromatic. I might go for some more of that, too.

    I also opened a Loire Pinot Noir that was really astounding. A $13 Burgundy, basically, though not a appelation vineyard, obviously. The 2007 Roc Chateauvieux has rocks, raspberries, smoke, saddle leather, spit, seaweed, tobacco, basically everything. It's got the minerally cutting layer I like in burgundies, and flavor without flash. Great acids. Time to load the boat!

    ~Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric, La Vieille Ferme may not be your style, but it is a very bright, forward wine--better than any other LVF I've had.

    The Loire wine sounds like my type of Pinot and at a good price. I've always liked the Cotes d'Auxerres Burgundies of Goisot, which is another cool-climate Pinot. I'll look for the Roc Chateauvieux.

    Spit?

    --Fred

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred, that Roc had *everything*! ;>

    I actually have had several pinots in the under $15 category, several of which have been decent efforts. But I look for mineralization and acidity, and that is much rarer these days.

    I'll get some LVF as well. I've had it before and liked it, and its great for $7. Thats the price of a glass of cra...er, house wine most places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't buy as many Pinots as I should because I don't know of many decent values so I'm glad to hear of suggestions. If I don't find them in Michigan, I might in Chicago or elsewhere. I think our tastes are similar.

    La Vieille Ferme has been a good value for ages, but I got away from buying it during the 80s when there so many other good values available at a slightly higher price. Then when my daughter was getting married (2005), it came back on to my screen. I bought two cases of the 2001 for the wedding for a little over $100 (it was even cheaper then), and I don't think anyone was disappointed. Since then, my interest has been renewed. And some of her friends have become LVF fans (and readers of my blog) so I have to keep them up to date on what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, just this once I'll give away a secret.

    You might like the DeLatour Pinot on sale at Garyswine.com. It's free shipping on a case wine, so you could get a good Barbera they also have, and perhaps some J.L CHave as well. Tell the Internet dept. guy I recommended them to you. Pinots about $8, Barberas $9 for a liter.

    And leave some for me, Fred!

    ~Eric

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Eric. The DeLatour sounds like a great deal. And there are many other wines at Gary's I could get excited about--like the Beaurenard Rasteau. I like Beaurenard's Chateauneuf; haven't tried their Rasteau.

    Unfortunately, Michigan doesn't allow shipping wine into the state.

    ReplyDelete
  7. See, Fred, this is why you make friends in other states! Do you know anyone in Wisconsin?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm curious about the Beaurenard as well. I had a very nice Cairanne Villages, the 2006 Domaine des Escaravailles Le Ventabren last week, but I find myself remembering the Beauchene Rasteau instead.

    Oh my gawd...I'm a Wineaux!

    ~Eric

    ReplyDelete