Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Why I Blog

If you read this blog fairly regularly, you've probably figured out that it's mainly a diary of the wines I drink every night with dinner. You're invited to share them vicariously with me, if you wish.

Artisan Wine on a Budget is admittedly an act of self indulgence. My wines and my views about those wines are ultimately not all that important to anyone but me. The act of writing helps me understand and appreciate the wines on a different level, and I enjoy that.

I should make it clear that I am not ranking nor recommending these wines. They are not necessarily the best wines nor the best values. They are simply the wines I enjoy for the reasons that I state. Although I have been tasting and enjoying wines for about 30 years, that doesn't qualify me for any special expertise or critical judgment. In fact, it may have locked me into certain biases that you have probably already discovered.

The product of my self indulgence, however, is an ever-growing collection of tasting notes, which I trust will be useful. As a wine lover, I spend a good part of my life searching for tasting notes on wines--those I haven't tasted and those I have. I want to compare notes with others who enjoy wine. When I agree with the taster, whoever it may be, I gloat; when I disagree, I move on to find someone who has tastes closer to my own.

As you may have noticed, I am particularly conscious of price, value and availability. No matter how much money you have, there's never enough to spend on the wines you want. That's why I'm a bottom fisher, constantly looking for values. Stick with me on this blog, and I'll try to show you how to get the best wine for your money.

That's all. I appreciate comments, disagreements, ongoing arguments. If you simply don't like my blog or find it boring, I'm sure you won't stick around long enough to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment