Thursday, March 13, 2008

Domaine de Marotte Cotes du Ventoux Cuvee Eline, 2001

This 2001 Cotes du Ventoux has reached a level of maturity that suggests where the 2006 La Vieille Ferme is headed...although LVF may not take five years to get there. It's a medium crimson color, maybe with a bit less luster and color saturation than it had a few years ago. Aromas and flavors are of red cherries, strawberries and just enough black licorice to give it a solid underpinning. They're not as intensely fruity as those of the younger wine but they're a bit deeper and more complex. It goes down very easily with food or on its own.

Daan and Elvira van Dijkman named this cuvee after their daughter, Eline. It is my favorite of their lineup because of its ripe tannins and laid back personality. Mostly Grenache with 10 percent Syrah and 10 percent Carignane, it is aged, according to traditional practices, in large, old barrels that allow good fruit expression.

I haven't seen recent vintages of Marotte wines, but they are imported by Kent Beverage in Grand Rapids, MI and Vineyard Expressions of Ithaca, NY. Five years ago, all of the Marotte wines were priced between $5 and $8, and, even given the weakness of the dollar versus the Euro, I suspect they are still excellent values.

5 comments:

  1. I don't like wine very much, i am more a whiskey person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest i could drink a glass of wine right now and the Marotte Cote du Ventoux sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not really sure, whether this drink will kick off nicely, but I am staying with my old brand I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like wine very much, i am more a Vodka person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really do not like wine, as it is really hard to have..

    ReplyDelete