Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Sonoma Cutrer Les Pierres Single Barrel Private Select Chardonnay, 2017

Sonoma Cutrer is one of the top producers of California Chardonnary; Les Pierres Vineyard (named for the large stones that cover the soil) is arguably the estate's  best offering; and this bottle was created from a single barrel chosen by the winemaker as the best representative of 2017 Les Pierres. I expected a lot from this wine, and I got it.

Bright, medium straw. Wow! Lemon creme, lime, honey dew melon, minerals. Tightly packed and focused fruit and mineral flavors. Savory rather than sweet. Citrus-laced acidity that the estate claims as a hallmark of its Chardonnay wines. In a blind tasting, I probably would have pegged this as coming from the Willamette Valley of Oregon--high praise from me.

Somehow I managed to secure this wine from WineBid last December for $15. I presume that most bidders worried that a 2017 California Chardonnay might be past its prime. My view: it has probably reached prime drinking but is holding well. Wish I had more.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment