Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Pontificis Pays d'Oc Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre, 2020

Pontificis has been one of my favorite Trader Joe bargains ($6.99) since the 2015 vintage. Although grapes come from the Pays d'Oc, it has always reminded me of a very good, traditionally made Cotes du Rhone or Cotes du Rhone Villages. This bottle from the 2020 vintage, though, seems a bit less intense and flavorful than previous vintages. That might be because of 1) the vintage, 2) the source of grapes or 3) my mood at the time I tasted it.

Bright red color. Red and black fruits with a spicy undertone. Less garrigue (Provencal herbs) and less black pepper than I remember from previous vintages. Also a bit lower in acidity and a bit higher in fruit sweetness. Still a very good wine and an excellent value.

No comments:

Post a Comment