Sunday, March 31, 2024

Domaine Chante Perdrix Chateauneuf du Pape, 1978

For my 85th birthday, I wanted a wine with some age on it, and this 1978 Chante Perdrix was perfect. If I can age as gracefully as this wine has, my future will be all right. The 1978 vintage is a legendary one for Rhone wines, and Chante Perdrix has given me some of my most exciting tasting experiences.

Cork is surprisingly intact for a wine of this age and there is no noticeable ullage. The color is brickish and very light, similar to the 1989 Chante Perdrix I enjoyed many times in my 60s and 70s. Light, delicate body and mouth feel, very much like a Pinot Noir. The smells and flavors are ethereal. Sweet and savory. Strawberries, dried and fresh, and spices galore: mint, cinnamon, nutmeg, warm tea. Sits so lightly on the palate but leaves so much pleasure. Gets better with every sip. Very much like the 1989 Perdrix and seemingly ageless.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment