Saturday, February 3, 2024

Vignerons du Mont Ventoux Altitude 500 Ventoux, 2019

I like wines from Ventoux, and I have been pleased with other vintages of this Altitude 500. But this bottle does not make it with me.

Deep, dark crimson. A big wine, full bodied and highly extracted--not at all what I expect from a Ventoux. The alcohol is too high (15%) for me, and the flavors are hot and somewhat bitter. 75% Grenache but none of the friendly tones of Southern Rhone Grenache.

Second night: Hey, I was too tough on this wine last night. Tonight, I can smell the cherries and taste some ripe Grenache fruit on the finish. Maybe it just needed air. Or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. I still get some alcoholic heat, but there is enough acidity to keep it fresh. For the price, though, ($15.49), I prefer Ventoux from Famille Perrin ($6.79) and 3 Messes Basses ($10 to $12).

No comments:

Post a Comment